Friday, July 31, 2015

Who Are You?... Really?

Mudjimba Beach

ALTHOUGH WE SEEM TO BE SO DIFFERENT people everywhere are pretty much the same. For one thing, we all have a habit of showing a different face to the world depending on the company we keep. It appears to me that we hide behind these false faces so as to avoid showing who we really are.

 For instance, while observing myself, I have noticed that the person I am at any given moment varies depending on who I’m with... like... I’m a different person to my family than I am with my friends... and different again to strangers.

 To a noisy neighbour I may be seen as being cranky, to another neighbour I might be thought of as friendly. If the neighbours were ever to talk about me, they would be discussing two different personalities. “He’s a nasty old man.”... “No he’s not, he’s a good man.”

Never, ever do we dare let our guard down and show the face of our true selves.

 We all act out our life’s drama constantly changing the face we present to the world. Which makes me realize that not only do we conform to the conventions of society, but we also conform to our own ‘imagined’ self image, altering it to some degree to reflect whatever the company we are in.

 Added to that, we also subtlety change the face we show depending on the vacillating mood (happy, sad, angry, depressed) of the people we are interacting with... or when we ‘want’ something from them... or when they have ‘done’ something that we don’t like.

 The Japanese have a saying, “We have three faces. The first face we show to the world. The second face we show to our friends and our family. The third face we never show anyone. That face is the true reflexion of who we are.”

 Each of our false faces merges seamlessly into our persona, so we think we remain the same person....but we’re not! We are constantly changing. Do we hide behind these false faces because we’re scared shitless that we might inadvertently reveal who we really are???

Dan’s Quote: “Not everyone thinks about us the way we think about us.
And how we think about others, is not how they think about themselves.”
brainwavehaveagreatday
Header picture: ‘Mudjimba Beach’, Sunshine Coast, Queensland, Australia,
with Mudjimba Island (Old Mother Hubbard Island) in the background.
It’s nicknamed ‘Old Mother Hubbard Island’ because it looks like her shoe.

No comments:

Post a Comment

ACTING THE PART

  BEING INSECURE AND UNSURE of ourselves when interacting with the social world, the world of business, the world of human relations, we te...